Wednesday 22 October 2014

Bringing a Loved One Home

Diwali – the festival of lights and illumination has always held a cherished corner in my heart.  This festival signifies the return of a victor, the winning of good over evil, the illumination of the world.  In fact, Diwali itself means the festival of lights.

Relatives visit. Sweets are prepared; there is Laxmi Puja and aarti in the evening. The family gets together over a game of cards.  People buy new clothes, gift each other.  Love, happiness and light are shared. The whole thing is an event of gaiety and colorful festivities.  Young kids go out with elders to stock up on fire crackers, and the night dwells in a bright darkness.

I am sure we have our favorite Diwali – one particular Diwali, when something extraordinary might have happened and has, since then, remained with us all for these years.  I am sure I have my favorite Diwali. It has been a few years since then and yet the memories are so fresh that it seems just like yesterday.

They say that loved ones come home on Diwali.  Well, for me too, it was a sort of welcoming a loved one home – only I did not know it then.  My elder brother who was working in Delhi had come over to stay with us during the week.  One of his friends was also supposed to come with him, but he did not get tickets, so he had to postpone it until the very night of Diwali.

It was past eleven in the night, and this friend’s train had just reached the city a half hour back.  He had called my brother, Anil, once he got a rickshaw. Anil had given proper address and directions to the home to his friend. But as fate would have it, the friend did reach the right address, well, almost, but he just could not find the door.

Anil had told him to look for a main gate with a maroon door.  What he forgot was that three houses down there was another maroon door.  When Anil’s friend called him saying he was standing in front of one, but he did not want to get inside since it was late in the night and he was not completely sure if it was the right house, Anil asked him to wait and said he would send his younger sister out to bring him home.

I looked at my brother a little shocked. “It’s eleven in the night” I told him in disbelief.  “And he is your friend, not mine!” I added.  But, brothers being brothers, Anil somehow bullied me to go bring his friend home.  “It’s just two doors down! Don’t be such a spoilt brat!”

“I am not a spoilt brat!”

“Then what are you – a chicken?”

I stormed out of the house to bring his friend home and more, to prove a point.

That’s how I met Vikas.  That night – amidst the sound of crackers, with little diyas illuminating the dark night, the small of barood filling the air, and him – looking at me, knowingly, trusting me instantly (someone he had not met before) to take him home. I remember it all so clearly, that I still get goose bumps thinking about that first time we met.

Today, it’s been six years since that evening, and three years of our wedding. Anil still takes all the credit, of course.  Nothing would have happened if he had not forced me to walk down those three houses to the other maroon door and bring Vikas home, Anil says.  And, I believe him.
Six years ago, on a Diwali night, a loved one did indeed come home!

Here's another place where you can find more reasons to celebrate this Diwali: https://www.gharwalidiwali.com/

And here is another Diwali story that will definitely touch your heart:




No comments:

Post a Comment