Wednesday 17 December 2014

Teddy Travelogues


Today she is graduating from college. But it seems just like yesterday when I went out travelling with my niece, Naina, to Pondicherry.

It was a birthday treat I had promised my newly turned nine year old niece at the time, and within a week of her birthday we set out from Bangalore  enroute to Pondicherry. And what a ride it was! She kept asking me questions even before our journey had begun.

Naina is a very bright kid.  She is curious, loves to ask many questions and sometimes even I learn a thing or two from her. Even at that time, she kept asking me questions - what should I pack, Maasi?  Is it too cold there? Oh, then is it too hot? Is it like Bombay? Bangalore?

And that one week before the trip, seemed like an age - an age of inquisitiveness and innocence. What will we do there?

The last question stumped me.  I knew Naina was a studious, knowledge hungry kid, but the things I had planned for her were a tad different.  It was what other kids her age did and called them “fun”.   I wanted her to have some fun.  Have a lolly, walk to the pier, see other things – not necessarily absorb everything, but just see and remember moments for what they were then – not as an anecdote from history, not like a footnote from her big great encyclopedias, but just as simple happy moments.

I didn’t know if my plan would succeed. The only way I could make it happen was to have a discussion with her – and I told her what my idea for the Pondicherry trip was. Surprisingly, she understood and agreed.

“Sweet!” I said and off we went on our first Maasi-Niece birthday vacation.

She was a happy child still basking in her post-birthday glow, embracing the birthday gift and the long journey from Bangalore to Pondicherry with a wide open smile! It was sheer delight! Only once she asked me, “Why do they call it Pondicherry?”

I almost answered but stopped myself, and reminded her of the promise she had made before the trip. She went quiet instantly.  The largeness of her heart melted mine.  So I gave her just that little bit of extra information and also told her that Pondicherry is also known as Puducherry.  She is always ecstatic to get new trivia for her treasure trove.  But I was afraid that having indulged her once, she might ask questions again and again and make that face which I can’t refuse.  But, she did not take advantage of that and for the rest of the trip, her questions were much simpler, “Maasi, can we go to that bakery?” or “Isn’t it so lovely at the pier? I will never forget this sunset!”

And truly that is one trip that I have never forgotten.  We had walked on the road next to the ocean, strolled in the French quarters, had goodies from bakeries, visited the Ashrama, and even watched a rock concert on the ocean road one evening. 

That holiday with the kid is one that I will never forget and always remember with the fondest memory!

Also check this link if you are planning a holiday with your beloved kid(s) àhttp://membership.clubmahindra.com/TeddyTravelogues/index.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment