Tuesday 24 March 2015

It's Better Together

I still remember that hot summer evening when the world came crumbling down upon me.

It was the year 2008, and recession was rampant. Companies were firing people, companies were collapsing, it was difficult to get investors, salary cuts were declared, any hope of raise was annihilated with a look of disdain that seemed to say, "How can you think about it at a time like this?" I was at the very beginning of my career, snuggled up in my new job, giving it all my waking hours, making the company's success my sole purpose.  And then suddenly my world came crashing down.

The company would be liquidated.  My job that was there in the morning, suddenly vanished by afternoon tea.  The corporate world had vanished in a poof! There was no way I could get a job in a market that was burdened to the teeth with stakeholders claiming returns and profits, and calling in the notes.  I was a small cog in a machine, but at least I was a cog.  That summer afternoon, the machine was put to sleep.

Malls were vacant that day. Consumerism began to slumber. I remember walking into a lot of them to stare into the shop that sold things I could never afford again.  A lot of housing constructions were taking place.  I looked at them an d thought what my plight would be - will I have a roof over my head the next day.  Finally, as the balmy evening took over, I began to stroll on the boulevard.  A stray dog followed me. Everyone else were in their own worlds, unaware of the universe of glum I was carrying inside me.

Xylo, as my roommate loved to be called, was already in the flat when I walked in.  I told Xylo about my day, and it turned out that his wasn't any different either.  He was actually not just my roommate but my closest friend.  I had known him for years.  Since our school days.  He has always been the one I would turn to in my times of distress.  Somehow, he always managed to have a solution for everything.

But that day how could I ask him for advise.  He too had a rough week, and very unfortunately the same bad fate as mine and that too on the same day!

We had a dinner of frozen pizza from the fridge that night.  Even then we felt guilty.  The beer bottles clinked in the fridge but we did not have the cheer to open those bottles just yet.  It was not a good day.  At least we had the warmth of a good friendship.

Years have gone by and still now I recollect that evening and cannot wipe off the smile off my face.

Suddenly, as we tore off the last piece of the frozen pizza he said, "This is an opportunity, man!"

I looked at him bewildered.  How could this boy whom I've known since childhood come up with such an insane idea at a time of such great adversity.

But he kept persisting.  Whatever little savings we had, and along with the help of our parents the first idea of a new start up germinated.  And, now after half a decade,  the rest is history. And even to this day I acknowledge the incident of that afternoon, the warmth and optimism of that friend that guided both of us to where we are today.

And I wouldn't have it any other way!

To find out more about your dreams, or that roof over your head, visit this site: https://housing.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment