Tuesday 24 March 2015

#StartANewLife

Look up every once in a while and one may never know which way the stars may direct you.  My Granny used to say that.  And truly so.  The stars have guided me home. Always.

After a long courtship that ended in a disastrous break up, I decided that it was time for me to leave my home and my home town.  Scarred by life, brimming with discontent, and with a sackful of complaints I had left home and all that reminded me of the close proximity of that one person who used to visit me there every Friday evening at seven o' clock sharp for an evening in town.

I left it all to find new grounds in another land.

The excuse was career.  Family needed to be told something. They wouldn't just let me go.  And going out to find myself, my bearings would not be a sufficient answer it would not convince them.

I still remember that day. A match was going on in the television. It was India Vs. Sri Lanka I suppose.  We had bread and tea for breakfast.  Outside it was pouring.  Everyone at home went about pottering and doing their own thing unaware of the screams that came out of me.  The world was oblivious to my pain and I was too immersed in self pity to hear the new hatch-lings of Papa Pegion making their first ever sound in this world.

A friend of mine had shifted to a city a few months ago, and I had her address.  The only way I could leave my home town was by telling a lie.  After breakfast I told them about a fictional job I got and that too, conveniently, in the same city as my friend.  I could live with her.

My family was apprehensive at the first hour.

"Is it really necessary?" my mother asked out of concern.

"You can get a job here itself.  Why do you want to go so far away?" my father reasoned.

Nothing could make me stay.

And then, the first time in all the years that I had spent with my kid brother, he said something that was intended to hurt me, but actually it made me smile.  "I'm taking her room" he announced.

I was officially out.

Many months passed, and I had managed to get myself a decent job as well in the city.  My friend was ever so accommodating.  We would go out every weekend to the malls.  Have lunch outside on a Saturday.  Watch a movie the next Sunday.  Hit the beach a few days later.  It was good.  It may be true to say that I had begun to gradually forget the ugly incident that had happened back home, which had acted as a catalyst in my shift to the city.

Now, my parents keep visiting me every few months. My brother is still enjoying the ownership of my room.  In a few months he too will be coming to the city.  A big company has offered him a job here.

My Granny was here a few weeks ago. She says that she likes how I have done up my house.  I told her how I had saved up for every little thing that she saw in the house, from the porcelain vase to the painting and the large mirror I fitted in the house.  My friend and I would look for things in the market, talk about how they would go with the colours of our home, and after we reached a consensus we would go, determined to buy that thing for the house, no home.

It has been a magical experience.  Finding a home in a foreign place - a place of comfort out of the comfort zone of home.  And it has all been worth it!

It's true.  You just need to look up and the stars will guide you home.

Look up.

For more interesting information do check out the video below and this link too:  https://housing.com/


1 comment:

  1. Hey there bloggingdeck information or the article which u had posted was simply superb and to say one thing that this was one of the best information which I had seen so far, thanks for the information #BGLAMHAIRSTUDIO

    ReplyDelete